Poetry: What Am I?


Spoken Word

What am I? People say I'm Spanish but I feel black, for enslaved is my body and freedoms at my back
But I'm caught in the depths of new generation..
So I do time.
I catch a thought but I'm still blind
Still fighting for my own so still I grind
So I catch a rhyme in order to free my mind.

Who am I? Where have I come from?
People say humane, but I don't think I can become one.
Too much dirt chipped into my nails
And it's always hatred that seems to prevail
Hold a grudge against a thug, that nigga owes me money
But time is money and the words feel oh so sweet on thy lips, please bathe in honey
Sweetness. But no, bitter is thy soul,
Thy soul which cannot glow
To know what it is to hold: education.
Books, text, and composition..
And I ask you what is it that I am missing?
College? Oh what a word!
For college cannot provide the knowledge of the streets
For these words are my own and for you to keep!
So I say to you, my sisters, my brothers
OF ALL DIFFERENT COLORS

Let us come together, to paint and sketch the world a little better
For the kids are petrified, so they hide behind the big mans lies, for they fear the genocide going on inside of our minds.
Killing races in different places, showing hatred between our teeth.
Please let us be born & give us peace to keep.
For piece by piece, and stone by stone. We will grow and be reborn...
Into the life we did not choose.
Into the life we did not want.
Into the life we did not need...
But into the life we wish to keep.

Reality.

No comments: